Tuesday 18 June 2013

When Grief Is Overwhelming


This week I'm helping a young family create a ceremony for their still born child. In one sentence I've probably said all you need to know - your minds will already be thinking what a desperately sad time this is. In many ways, our grief for the loss of a child is the hardest kind of grief to bear, because when a child dies, we mourn not only the life that was, but also the life that might have been. So many hopes and dreams that will remain unfulfilled.

Stillbirth is more common than many people realise. There are around 4,000 stillbirths each year in the UK - approximately 1 in every 200 births. For more information, the 'Sands' website (Stillbirth & Neonatal Death Charity) is a great resource and can talk far more meaningfully on the subject that I can. In the meantime, I shall keep helping as best I can, knowing that however clever my words, however well thought out the music, I'm unlikely to soften the hurt the family are feeling right now.

Andrew Jackson is an independent funeral celebrant working in Bristol, Bath and Somerset. Fuelled by coffee & walnut cake during the day and by shiraz at night...




No comments:

Post a Comment