Sunday 24 January 2016

Dementia and Alzheimers Poem



I just wanted to share the following poem - it's called, The Alzheimer's Poem. I have no expertise when it comes to Dementia and Alzheimers. It is an illness that seems to impact on so many of the families I help. As a society, we don't always talk about it and maybe in part that is because there is no battle to be fought, as there can be with other illnesses (although personally, I don't like the fighting / battling imagery that is sometimes associated with fighting cancer for example, but that's a blog for another day).

I know it scares me more than even cancer. I know there is no hierarchy of good and bad deaths - any passing from illness or sudden event will feel too soon and will hurt beyond words. But this is especially difficult to cope with. Its impact both on the person and on their family is profound. 

I looked after a ceremony in the week and the son started the eulogy by saying:

"They say when someone is diagnosed with Alzheimer’s you lose that person twice. This is certainly true as we lost the father we loved some years ago". 

I think those words would resonate with a lot of people. 

So I hope the following poem helps in some small way. Apologies that I haven't been able to find the author but if anyone knows, do please say. And for those needing more information, click on the link to the Alzheimer's Website



Do not ask me to remember
Don’t try to make me understand
Let me rest and know you’re with me
Kiss my cheek and hold my hand.

I’m confused beyond your concept
I am sad and sick and lost
All I know is that I need you
To be with me at all cost.

Do not lose your patience with me
Do not scold or curse or cry
I can’t help the way I’m acting
Can’t be different though I try.

Just remember that I need you
That the best of me is gone
Please don’t fail to stand beside me
Love me till my life is done.


4 comments:

  1. I displayed this poem in mum's room when she was in the Nursing Home. It says everything those affected need to know. Dementia means saying goodbye once, but without the finality of a funeral to mark that goodbye. The final goodbye is, in some ways, easier to cope with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The author is Owen Darnell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally - you are a star! Thanks for letting me know re the author - I shall update my poems collection immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the link to a response to the Owen Darnell poem: http://www.alzheimers.net/poem-a-caregivers-response
    Interesting and maybe another addition to your poems collection?

    ReplyDelete