Thursday 6 March 2014

Music for Funerals

Last year, I wrote a blog about the song / music: 'Amazing Grace'. We had used the piece, played by The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (via CD) (i.e. not live - it would have been chaos). It was 'the best of tunes and the worst of tunes..'. It is beautiful, haunting, moving - but that's precisely the issue; its sure to have even the stiffest of lips trembling and the driest of eyes watering.

Yesterday, a similar discovery using Neil Diamond as exit music. We listened to "Hello, hello again" and - being honest - by the end I think everyone was glad to be back outside. Lovely track for a very special person - problem was it reduced everyone to tears... it was a sad enough day already. Strangely, "Here comes the sun" by the Beatles can have that effect on me too. At the end of the ceremony, with a silent and very thoughtful room, the guitar intro really makes an incredible impression. 

The exit music plays an important role in lifting spirits and marking the end of the ceremony. 'Lark ascending' is quite beautiful; Tony Bennett / Frank Sinatra etc work well - and, one of my favourites: 'Three little birds' by Bob Marley. So many amazing tracks - what would you recommend?

Andrew Jackson is an independent funeral celebrant, available to conduct funerals in Bristol, bath & beyond.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew
    The reason I chose Over the Rainbow for Mum's exit music was that I had visions of her 'going over the rainbow' and being free. We chose the Eva Cassidy version because we preferred it, but on reflection there were a lot of tears so may not have been the best choice.
    I've often thought that 'Cool, Green and Shady' by John Denver would be a good choice for similar reasons. You probably haven't heard of it - it's the B side (there's a phrase you don't often year nowadays!) of Annie's Song, which is also a favourite.
    You should check it out - it is wonderful, but then I am a bit of a fan and Annie's Song just happens to be Our Song, as H and I met in October 1974 when it was No. 1 (please don't tell me how old you were then - I can guess and I like to think of myself as Retro rather than Old. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS There is a line in Cool, Green and Shady "Let your free spirit fly". I just love that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The long version of Layla by Eric Clapton as Derek and the Dominoes - especially the guitar and piano bit at the end. One of those "Stop the car immediately and listen to this properly" pieces. (Or is that just me as I pull into the nearest layby very suddenly!) Probably not good if people needed to leave promptly to make room for the next ceremony ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny you should mention that particular song... I used it once before as exit music. Caused a degree of concern at Haycombe crematorium, as they needed to cue it in at exactly the right moment - but they had it spot on and it worked very well - it is a great piece. As you know, I have AC/DC and Pink Floyd tracks lined up for my funeral, so I'm all for taking a more personal approach to music. In a way, wouldn't it be lovely if funerals could be more like 'Desert Island Discs"? Extracts of music, life story, a favourite book and a big goodbye at the end. Set that in a beautiful garden in the middle of summer - a memorable way to say goodbye!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it's ages since this post, but I heard a wonderful song yesterday - She Loved Me by Sarah MacLachlan. Definitely one which would have been appropriate for my mum, although I was pleased with our choices. It is from Toy Story 2, but that can be glossed over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, I Find your Love, by Beth Neilsen Chapman. Beautiful words, beautiful music, but guaranteed to generate tears. Might be better to print the words on the order of service and play the instrumental version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This may be posted twice, because the first attempt didn't do whatever it is supposed to do ... another piece to add to the list - If it be your will by the Webb Sisters. It's on a couple of Leonard Cohen CDs (I am an avid fan) and we have heard it performed live twice. It is so beautiful, close harmony duet, accompanies by just a harp. It brought the whole place to an awed silence, even though one venue was outdoors. I heard it on the radio this morning and it reminded me. Please check it out - it is wonderful. (This is definitely turning into a Desert Island Discs thread!)

    ReplyDelete