Saturday 22 February 2014

What is your favourite funeral poem?


I haven't posted any of my favourite funeral poems for a while...well, this one is a very popular / often used poem, that seems to be resonating with families at the moment. For many, the sense of spirit living on is incredibly comforting and reassuring.
None of us know for certain what happens when we die, but experience shows us that those we love live on in our hearts and memories for all time. So a poem that reminds of this will always be a popular choice. "Miss me, but let me go" is one example, but the one I have chosen is "Do not stand at my grave and weep" by Mary Frye. As a funeral celebrant, I am inspired by nature - by the seasons and by the tides - I think this poem captures some of that inspiration...hope you like it. If you have a favourite funeral poem do send me a link; I'm gathering my favourites together as a resource for families, so if you've found something that really resonates then do share!


Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow. 
I am the diamond glint on snow. 
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain. 

When you wake in the morning hush, 
I am the swift, uplifting rush 
Of quiet birds in circling flight. 
I am the soft starlight at night. 

Do not stand at my grave and weep. 
I am not there, I do not sleep. 
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die.


Today I have been mostly thinking that I need to get the camera out and capture some new images for this blog!












No comments:

Post a Comment