Thursday 20 February 2014

500 Days and Counting


This post is about life, which makes a refreshing change. Now, you may need to sit down for this next bit of information - or at least prepare a sugar-heavy cup of tea for shock - but my 50th birthday is on the horizon (and for those of you who looked at the picture and thought "He's looking good for sixty", well, that's just mean...). Now, when I say 'on the horizon', its actually 500 days away (*give or take a few days - I worked it out once but life is too short to double check the figures) (which is exactly the attitude that held me back from a career as an accountant or physicist). Landmark birthdays are great for reassessing life. My feeling is that rather than wait for 50 and then make changes, I want to hit my 50th birthday fighting fit for the second half of my life...

So 'Operation 500 days' has now started and it is a project that will impact in so many ways. For example, health. I need to reduce my weight (I'm 12st 10lbs today - I need that to be 12st zero lbs at worse by my 50th) - so I've joined a gym (as of yesterday) and setting my sights on running a half marathon. It would be great to fund raise £500 for a good cause along the way - maybe the running will help me achieve this? I've also signed up for swimming lessons - I am a rubbish swimmer so that will be quite a challenge. Good to go out of my comfort zone (ie Gregs the Bakers...)

I'm also going to book my BUPA check up: at my age, that's quite scary - doctors have a tendency to want to reach for the marigolds for certain examinations... but as a funeral celebrant, I work with so many families who have lost loved ones to cancer that it just feels wrong to my family not to face up to the check ups that might spot a problem in time to deal with it.

I've some business goals too. Away from my celebrancy, I run my own business and the recession has been brutal. I've survived but its been an incredibly tough five years, so I have a new website being designed, new products to promote and a new energy to bring to that part of my life.

Another project - which is partly inspired by my fathers death in December and partly by my 50th - is to revisit some of the people and places in my life. I envisage the next 500 days as a time for reflection; a change to better understand how and why my life today is what it is. For example, I hated my time at school - I've never understood people that say school days are the best days of their life - obviously they went to a better school than I did. So I'm hoping to visit my old school and banish some of those demons - it will be an interesting experience. The list of places to visit is about twenty or so strong. My hope is to document this journey as I reconnect with people and places from the past.

I've spared you the details - there are pages of notes and mission statements stuck around my desk detailing all I want to achieve - wish me luck. I will post updates using the '500 days' label.

Today I have been mostly listening to 80's rock - the nostalgia has begun!





4 comments:

  1. To add to your 'to do' list maybe, and useful if you need to while away a while (!) join Facebook - it's addictive!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I really, really struggle with Facebook. I have an account for my photography, but I've never used it. This is partly because quite a few of my clients prefer for their pictures not to be used. So I don't always have a great deal of content to share. And, having not built up the friends list, only a few people to share with! But I know it is something I have to get to grips with so it is actually on my 500 list - "To embrace and improve with all social media". I'll keep you posted as to any progress made (but maybe best to keep your expectations fairly modest!).

      Delete
    2. You could use it as I do, just as a way to stay in contact with people who would otherwise slip through the net e.g. old schoolfriends/colleagues etc... who have moved on to pastures/places new and far away. Also as a quick way of sharing thoughts and significant events (in my case the birth of baby Howard!). I am not one of those people (though some of my friends are!) who 'share' everything, for example Mum and Dad's death were kept well away from Facebook. Maybe consider using it for your own ends and perhaps find those old school friends and acquaintances) you mentioned looking up. You'd be surprised who is around - I was! Also there is even a group for over 50s!!! :)

      Delete
  2. And I would never have thought you were nearly 50 ... (no further comment, make of it what you will, depending on whether you need an ego boost at any time or the reverse!)

    ReplyDelete