Saturday 24 December 2016

Season's Greetings


This is a post for all those feeling especially lost right now; perhaps feeling a little lonely. For some, this will be the first Christmas following bereavement and as the big day approaches, the sense of loneliness can become intense. Even if we are fortunate enough to be surrounded by family and friends, no one can quite replace that special person. Even in a crowded room, life can feel very empty. 
Of course, we don’t forget and special occasions such as Christmas, birthdays and family celebrations allow us to pause life for a moment and reflect on our memories – perhaps even light a candle as an act of remembrance.

There is a soothing, healing effect in lighting a candle. A solitary candle brings light in the darkness; it is also a symbol of the human spirit. During times of sorrow or life change, we can feel so helpless; lighting a candle is one way of focusing your thoughts on remembrance.

I do hope that you call find some joy over the festive period, however raw the sadness. In the closing words of a very famous poem:

And when your thoughts do turn to me,
Know that I would not have you cry.
But live for me and laugh for me,
And while you live,
I shall not die.

Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas.


Andrew Jackson is a funeral celebrant available in Bath, Bristol and beyond.

1 comment:

  1. A bit late to comment, but I can't let this one go ... so true and so what our loved ones would have thought and said. I see parts of them whenever I see the newest members of our family.

    ReplyDelete