Wednesday 1 January 2014

Celebrating the Arrival of 2014



It has been a surreal few months for me. My father died at the start of December. We knew he was ill; we knew he wouldn't go on for ever, but we expected (maybe 'hoped' is more accurate) that he would still be with us to see in the New Year. Not to be... So we've experienced the stress of being summoned to his bedside, the privilege of keeping him company as the end drew close, the stillness and peace as he died and then the intrusiveness (I'm not sure that's actually a word) as a host of strangers (funeral and health professionals) appeared in our lives. There are so many things to sort out and really, all we wanted was to stop and reflect on our loss. As I said, it is a surreal time. It will take a while for life to feel 'normal' again - and I know it won't ever be the same. 

Going into Christmas with life so out of sorts, my thoughts were often with the families I have helped in 2013. Christmas is a time when absences are keenly felt and I hope that you all coped with this difficult time.

Whatever your situation, I hope that 2014 is a happy, healthy and successful year for you. I won't be making too many New Year's resolutions this year... the obvious ones: eat less / exercise more (The "Hairy Bikers Diet Cookbook" has been dusted off already), post more blogs but above all else, live life. There is nothing like the death of someone close to remind how short our lives are - so I hope this will be a year for doing rather than thinking - Happy New Year!

Andrew Jackson is an independent celebrant, available in Bristol, Bath & Somerset.

No comments:

Post a Comment