Sunday 13 October 2013

A "Love of Life" List


Question: What would you do if you were told you had three years to live?I read an interesting article on the BBC website today, in the News Magazine section, talking about 'bucket lists' - which are things to do before 'kicking the bucket'. 

And although I would rather label it a "Love for Life" list, I think its a brilliant idea.
As a funeral celebrant, I often hear amazing stories of people who, on hearing that illness will cut short their life, cram a huge amount into their final years. It doesn't have to be the dramatic 'swimming with dolphins' big stuff (although a great one if you like swimming) (and dolphins, obviously) (I am a rubbish swimmer so my take would be 'drowning with dolphins'; less exciting). 

So for me it would probably be a return to Barcelona, my favourite city outside of Bristol; taking the lead role in the Rocky Horror show, singing a Sinatra track with a real live swing band, eating in some great restaurants; touring and photographing the coastline of the UK in a VW camper van; drinking a bottle of wine that wasn't bought because it was on offer in the supermarket; a return visit to Stamford Bridge for the football... I don't know, maybe I need to think more seriously about this!

But if you read the BBC article it will certainly prompt some of your own thoughts - just don't wait until its too late to put them into action...

Today I have been mostly enjoying autumn colours in Bath Victoria Park, in the company of good friends. Happy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment