Tuesday 1 March 2016

Poem: My Funeral by Wendy Cope


The following poem was read out on the BBC's Woman's Hour programme last week...it made a lot of celebrants smile...

My Funeral by Wendy Cope

I hope I can trust you, friends, not to use our relationship
As an excuse for an unsolicited ego-trip.
I have seen enough of them at funerals and they make me cross.
At this one, though deceased, I aim to be the boss.
If you are asked to talk about me for five minutes, please do not go on for eight
There is a strict timetable at the crematorium and nobody wants to be late
If invited to read a poem, just read the bloody poem. If requested
To sing a song, just sing it, as suggested,
And don’t say anything. Though I will not be there,
Glancing pointedly at my watch and fixing the speaker with a malevolent stare,
Remember that this was how I always reacted
When I felt that anybody’s speech, sermon or poetry reading was becoming too protracted.
Yes, I was intolerant, and not always polite

And if there aren’t many people at my funeral, it will serve me right.

4 comments:

  1. Someone should write one about the perils of the eulogy turning into a CV - easily done, but, of course, not by anyone I know. :) (Really, I don't mean you!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. On point! I have always looked forward to such a funeral....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish funerals would be guided by the poem

    ReplyDelete